Ministry Description - Envelope Secretary
Approved by St.
Stephen’s Parish Council April 21, 2003
Amended by St. Stephen’s Finance Committee January 23, 2006
Revised by St. Stephen's Parish Council, September 9, 2013
A candidate for the position of Envelope Secretary must be able to maintain confidentiality; show good attention to detail; be self-directed in order to meet timelines; and have enough computer knowledge to learn new programs. Knowledge of bookkeeping is preferred.
The Church Wardens appoint the Envelope Secretary annually, and the term runs from an Annual Vestry Meeting to the following Annual Vestry Meeting.
The Envelope Secretary is accountable, and under the direction of, to the Church Wardens for the accounting of identified donations to St. Stephen’s Anglican Church and reporting to donors. Envelope holders may contact the Envelope Secretary to discuss errors in the accounting of their donations.
The Envelope Secretary will use St. Stephen’s computer for keeping records.
The Envelope Secretary is a member of the Finance Committee.
The Envelope Secretary trains and supervises the Assistant Envelope Secretary.
The Envelope Secretary works with the Incumbent to maintain the Church Family database.
The Envelope Secretary:
1. advises Incumbent of a new Envelope number;
2. sets up envelope holder's Record of Offerings;
3. advises Incumbent to remove an Envelope number;
4. enters donations from the weekly Offering Report onto Record of Offerings;
5. records the amounts from the Electronic Offering Program Monthly Donor Report onto the Record of Offerings;
6. works with the Treasurer to quarterly reconcile donation records with deposit records;
7. prepares statements and ensures they are distributed with a letter for the Church Wardens; when the donor's e-mail address is known, they are sent by e-mail;
8. ensures offering envelopes for the next year are ordered by the 3rd week of September;
9. ensures offering envelopes are distributed for the 3rd Sunday in December and prepares envelopes:
a. those who did not use their envelopes are not issued envelopes until they ask for them,
b. the Incumbent can print off a set of labels for the envelope boxes, and
c. Loose envelopes will have to be inserted in the envelope boxes;
10. sets up Envelope holder's records on computer and amends records on Family Information Form;
11. prepares Envelope Secretary's Report for the Annual Report;
12. prints statements and ensures that income tax receipts are distributed by February 28;
13. ensures previous year’s envelopes and copies of statements are organized and stored in an Archive box Vestry Room cupboard such that it is easy to audit them;
14. ensures that records in Archive boxes older than seven years are destroyed;
15. sends donation receipts to the donor and an acknowledgement of the donation to the family of the person in whose memory the donation was given; and
16. ensures that the Incumbent and Wardens are made aware of donations that qualify for a plate.
An envelope subscriber is entitled to receive an Algoma Anglican. The Incumbent will ensure change of address, etc. for the Algoma Anglican is submitted based on the information entered in the Family Information Form.
The Envelope Secretary is accountable, and under the direction of, to the Church Wardens.
The appointment as the Envelope Secretary may be discontinued by the Church Wardens for not carrying out the responsibilities and duties of the Envelope Secretary.
The Finance Committee’s purpose is to assist the Church Wardens with financial decisions and to communicate the financial information to the parish. The decision-making authority of the Committee is based on the Church Wardens being members of the Committee. The Committee may give direction to the Envelope Secretary.